Friday, December 21, 2007

Low-fat Orange Almond Yogurt Cake




Bought a tub of yogurt not long ago. As the expiry date is getting nearer, have to find ways to use it fast...
I had tried this recipe from Happy Home Baker quite a few times. Each time the cake was well-received by my family (my kids simply love it!) and others.

For your info, I'm not adventurous in cake baking. The cakes I usually baked are either Yogurt cake or Chiffon cake, quite boring... :( And I'm still struggling with beating egg whites.... :(

Anyway, made this cake today. However, made some modification to the original recipe.


Ingredients:

250g cake flour
1 tsp vanilla powder (I added this cos' I love vanilla!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

70g butter (soften @ room temp)
zest of 1 orange
160g caster sugar (original recipe calls for 200g of sugar)
2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs orange juice

Some Almond slices - I toasted the almond slices. Thought that may bring out the flavour
better


Method:

1. Preheat oven @ 180 deg C. Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) round pan.

2. Sift: cake flour, vanilla powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

3. In a bowl, mix together: yogurt, vanilla essence and orange juice.

4. With an electric mixer, beat butter and orange zest for 1 min.
Add in sugar and beat on high speed for about 3 mins.

5. Add in eggs gradually, abt 1 tbs at a time, beating constantly for about 2 mins .

6. On low speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture;
On medium high speed, beat in 1/2 of the yogurt mixture;
On low speed, beat in half of the remaining flour mixture;
On high speed, beat in the remaining yogurt mixture;
On low speed, beat the rest of the flour mixture.

7. Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre
comes out clean.

PS: I almost forgot about the almond slices until I'd poured the batter into the pan. Anyway,
put the almond slices into the pan and gave it a stir.

The cake took another 10 mins to bake partly becos' I place an aluminium foil on top
to prevent it from browning too quickly. Did you notice? my cake is not brown on top.

I let the cake cool in the pan for about 20 mins. Thereafter, umould and let it cool on a
wire rack.

The cake tasted soft and light hmm.... My younger son requested for a piece during the cooling period....





However, husband remarked that it wasn't that sweet and the sweetness was uneven (centre sweet, side not that sweet!!) as compared with the previous cake! :( I used lemon instead of orange the last few times., exactly 160g sugar leh...) What a picky eater..... :(


Nonetheless, my kids said YUM,YUM,YUM! :))









No comments:

Post a Comment