Friday, March 21, 2008

Almost a perfect square!




I've not achieved a perfect loaf for quite some times :( My last successful attempt was in November last year! Today's loaf was almost a perfect loaf if not for the side... I did a bad job in unmolding the loaf and in the process deformed the side..... :(


This is a coffee nut bread recipe taken from <曾美子教你第一次做面包>. Since I did not have any walnuts on hand, I just omitted it. Although coffee powder was added, it didn't have an intense coffee flavour. Guess my coffee powder wasn't good enough.. :(

Since this book is more for novice baker, the basic fermentation she explained is quite tedious! I just used my normal method of kneading and proofing. However, I noticed that she used some warm water to speed up or maintain the temperature. I find it very useful and it does help my 2nd proofing tremendously. This is how I do: Place your shaped dough in a warm/enclosed place with a bowl of warm water. Check your dough every 15-30 mins to see whether any rising and change the warm water once it turns cold.





When I sliced the bread, I noticed that the bread was real soft and cottony! May be that's why the side was difficult to unmold?!

Recipe as follows:
Ingredients A:
Bread flour 300g
Castor sugar 45g
Yeast 3.6g (I use 4g)
Water 150cc (I use fresh milk)
Egg 45g (I use 1 whole egg)
Ingredients B:
Salt 4.5g
Instant coffee powder 9g
milk powder 9g
Ingredient C:
Unsalted butter 45g
Ingredient D:
Walnuts 90g ( I omitted this)
Method: (I use my own method)
1. Combine ingredients A &B into a mixer to form a dough. Add ingredient C till smooth and elastic.
2. Remove dough. Shape into round and leave it in a big bowl cover with a piece of damp cloth/clingwrap. Leave to proof in a warm place for 50 to 60 mins till double in size. (Temperature: 28 deg C to 30 deg C)
3. Once double in size, punch out the air. Divide into 2 portions. Shape into balls. Rest the dough for 15 mins before shaping.
4. Flatten each piece and roll up tightly into a swiss roll style. Place the rolls into a greased tin. Cover with clingwrap/damp cloth and let it proof for 60 mins in a warm place till it reach 90% of the tin (temperature: 36 deg C to 38 deg C, humidity: 85%) {Mine took 1 hour 15 mins}
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 deg C for 30-35 mins.
6. Remove the bread from the tin. Cool well on a wire rack before slicing.

5 comments:

  1. i'm loving your blog!! (:

    really envy bakers who make good bread! i tried twice but both failed, yielding really dense and rubbery bread.. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice loaf you have got here :))
    I like the books from this authoer...very good for beginners like me :) I have yet to get hold of this book on bread making though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jiaying!
    Thanks for visiting my blog :) Guess you've to keep practicing :)

    Hi HHB!
    I bought this book from Popular bookshop. Think is a very new book cos' first published in Sep 2007.
    BTW, this loaf still remain soft today. A keeper! Will post recipe once I finish translating! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried your bread recipe last night and it turns out perfect.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful bread recipes.

    TLG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi TLG!

    Glad to hear your bread turned out perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete