Monday, July 28, 2008

Red Beans Buns




Have been lazy blogging lately...

Managed to get hold of this book “孟老师的一百道面包”when my brother went to Taiwan a couple of weeks back.

Saw two very unique bread: "bamboo charcoal Cheese Toast"“竹炭乳酪土司” and "Garlic Squid Buns" ” “墨鱼香蒜面包” in her book. Bet you can't find in Singapore! The two bread are all in black! Real BLACK!!!
Anway, I decided to bake a simple "Red Beans bun" using my homemade red beans paste which I made a few weeks back.

This "Red Beans bun" recipe was taken from “孟老师的一百道面包". I was surprised and pleased that this recipe uses very little sugar and butter. One thing I like about this book is that the recipes all yield about 8 pieces (just nice for a family of four).

I made these buns on Thursday and it still remained soft on Saturday morning after I warm it in the oven! My little son commented that the bread was delicious than the fillings... !

Recipe as follows:
(Make 8 pieces)

Ingredients A:
Bread flour 200g
Cake flour 20g
Castor sugar 25g
Salt 1/4 tsp
Instant yeast 3g (1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp)
Milk powder 15g
Egg 25g
Water 115g

Ingredients B:
Unsalted butter 15g
Red beans paste 200g

Ingredient C:
White Sesame Seeds 20g


Method:

1. Using low speed of your mixer, mix all ingredients A till it forms a dough. Change it to medium speed and knead till dough becomes smooth.

2. Using low speed, add in the unsalted butter. Change to medium speed and knead dough till it becomes elastic.

3. Place the kneaded dough in a mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let it ferments for about 60 minutes.

4. Divide dough into 8 equal parts. Round them up and immediately put the fillings inside. Shape the individual dough. Cover with cling wrap and let the shaped dough rest for 15 minutes. After the resting period, use your hand to slightly flatten the rounded dough.

5. Using a scissor, cut an inch at 8 sides of the flatten dough:
- First, cut the top & bottom, left & right. Follow by a cut on each portion.

6. Brush the doughs with egg wash. Wet the tip of a rolling pin and coat it with white sesame seeds. Imprint the rolling pin (with the sesame seeds) onto the dough.

7. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 deg C for about 15 minutes.


Recipe source: “孟老师的一百道面包"

13 comments:

  1. I can recognize almost immediately where u get this recipe from. I'm also reading this book borrowed from the library. Yours looks exactly the same as the book. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your buns are so beautiful! They look even better than those I've seen at bakershops! Well done, clap! clap!
    Now, I wish I stay next door to u...we can then make different types of buns and trade with each other :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Small Small Baker,
    Thank you for your compliment! Try some of her recipes, it's good!

    Hello, Happy Home Baker!
    Thank you for your compliment too! Mine are not so round as the book. Not that easy to round them up beautifully. :)

    Now I also wish we could stay nearby! so that I can taste your bread and cakes too! (All your birthday cakes look awesome for a homebaker!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really beautiful! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely beautiful - wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Aimei & the caked crusader!

    Thank you for your encouraging words! Am still learning everyday to perfect my skills... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful buns! Do you add the butter to the dough? butter is under ingredients B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, delia!

    Yes, butter is added (refer point # 2). Thank you for your compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yeah hor, din read properly.thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely buns! Just wanna ask, can substitute the bread flour using all purpose flour or plain flour? Some bread/buns recipes require milk but is it possible to substitute the milk using evaporated milk? Thanks in advance for your time.(=
    Regards, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi

    I love to look through your blog as those buns really looks amazing. I will feel hungry most of the time when I went through your photos. = )

    I had tried on this red bean bun recipe but mine one will get hard the other day. Just wonder how can I keep the bun soft for may be 2 days? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    I love to look through your blog as those buns really looks amazing. I will feel hungry most of the time when I went through your photos. = )

    I had tried on this red bean bun recipe but mine one will get hard the other day. Just wonder how can I keep the bun soft for may be 2 days? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love red bean buns. so pretty and so tasty.

    ReplyDelete