Friday, August 8, 2008

Cheese Bacon Roll 培根乳酪捲




Our breakfast last week. Recipe from “孟老师的一百道面包".

This recipe only uses 50g of water plus 70g of egg white. Hm... interesting recipe to try. What to do with the egg yolks you may ask? I used them in my fried rice.

Like smallsmallbaker, I also encounter sticky doughs using the bread machine on many occasions even though I'd tried opening the cover :( To counter this problem, I normally take out the dough and knead from my table-top plus "throwing & banging" (摔打) it on the table-top. Find that this "throw & bang" method actually develop the elasticity of the dough faster. Of course, you must have some patience lah!
(Make 5 pcs)
Ingredients A:
200g bread flour
15g Castor Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
70g egg white
2g (1/2 tsp) instant yeast
50g water

Ingredients B:
15g unsalted butter

Fillings:
5 pcs bacons
5 pcs cheddar cheese (cut into half each)


Method:

1. Using low speed of your mixer, mix all ingredients A till it forms a dough. Change it to medium speed and knead till dough becomes smooth.

2. Using low speed, add in the unsalted butter. Change to medium speed and knead dough till it becomes elastic.

3. Place the kneaded dough in a mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let it ferments for 80 minutes.

4. Divide dough into 5 equal parts. Round them up and cover with cling wrap. Rest for 10 minutes.

5. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle shape (16 cm x 10 cm).

6. Flip the dough, place bacon follow by 2 pcs cheese on top. Roll up the dough like swiss roll style. Use a sharp knife to cut a slit through the centre. Gently fold the cut side up and place in a baking tray.

7. Lightly press the dough and cover with cling wrap. Final proofing: 25 minutes.

8. Glaze with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 deg C for about 20 minutes.
We find that bacon baking this way does not taste as good. However, this is only personal preference. This roll remained soft even after 2 days.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been using the bread machine to knead the doughs from this cookbook. So far I have no problem with sticky doughs, now I'm wondering whether I did anything wrong ;')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like I'm not the only one who has this sticky dough problem (except HHB, hehe...). Thanks for telling us the other way to solve it. I hope my dough will "behave" well the next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    actually, sticky dough have got to do with your location. Singapore is just very humid and flour absorbs moisture. If you do some trial and error and reduce the fluid amount. The stickiness problem will be resolved. This is what I do when I go home from US to Singapore and want to bake bread. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete