Sunday, September 21, 2008

Braised Pork in Miso


Whenever I cook miso soup, my kids will shun away from it. They still can't get use to the taste of miso. However, I was quite surprised that they love this dish. They simply spoon the sauce and drizzle over their rice.

All along I thought miso can only be used for soup. But this braised pork using miso as marinade change my mind completely. It was not very salty. May be because of the amount of the rock sugar, my husband found it a bit sweet. Apart from that, we love the taste of this dish. It was simply delicious. :)

More information on miso, read here.

Recipe as follows:

Ingredients:

Pork belly 500g (I used 五花肉.)
Miso paste 3 tbs
Rock sugar 50g (can reduce to 40g)
Small cucumber, cherry tomato & spring onions - for decoration (I omitted)

Seasonings:
Cooking wine 2 tbs
Dark Soy Sauce 2 tbs
Star Anise 1 pc
Broth 2 cups (I used homemade chicken stock)


Method:

1. Clean & pat dry pork belly.
2. Coat miso paste onto the meat completely. Marinade for at least 2 hours.
3. Put all the seasonings into a pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils, put in the meat. Cover. Braise for about 30 minutes using small fire.
4. Add in rock sugar and braise for another 1 hour (using small fire).
5. Slice the meat and arrange onto a plate. Decorate with spring onion, cherry tomato and slice cucumbers. Drizzle the braised sauce onto the meat. Serve.

Do let me know if you have try it! :)


Recipe source: 妈妈做的菜 (莊佩柔 编著)

5 comments:

  1. That pork looks gorgeous - belly is one of my favourite cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi MH,

    this sounds like the prefect recipe for me to use up my miso paste~ :P currently i have a tub in the fridge and only using it to make miso soup~ =( thanks for sharing this recipe =) if u have any nice miso recipe mus share with me k! :P

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda!
    Thanks for dropping by! No problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is turned out too salty...perhaps my miso paste is salty one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi fanny!

    Sorry to know yours turn out salty :(

    I got mine in small pack (140g) from "Kwong Cheong Thye" in Aljunied. It's called "十全味噌". Think is from Taiwan. I made this dish today and received rave reviews from my relatives. :)

    BTW, pls check for doneness after 30 minutes of cooking. And adjust the rock sugar. Hope these infos are useful.

    ReplyDelete