Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brown Rice Milk Buns



If you have a copy of "孟老师的100道面包",you will find this recipe familiar: 糙米饭鲜奶面包. Who would have thought of using brown rice to make bread? Do you? :)

The original recipe is a plain bun with 50g of 松子(pine nuts?) and wheat germs as decoration. Since I didn't have these two ingredients on hand, I made a bold decision to change it a savoury buns, incorporating chicken cheese sausages. Sausages are a favourite among my kids and husband. So, if my buns didn't turn out well, there would be three more mouths to help me finish them! (My husband hates brown rice! )

I did not cook the brown rice just to make these buns. But rather it was our lunch (me & my 2 kids). I just reserved 50g of the cooked rice as my tangzhong starter.


I was very doubtful initially:

1. whether my tangzhong starter was cooked correctly or not?
2. whether the dough was easy to handle or not?

Luckily, everything turned out well. The dough was rather easy to handle and the dough was proofing normally thereafter.

Once the buns had cooled, I was very anxious to test the texture of the bun. Well, needless to say, it was very nice: soft & fluffy. It tasted just like a normal bun but with the goodness of brown rice. :)


I had tried a number of recipes from 孟老师and most of the times it turn out very good. She has a couple of unusual bread recipes which I hope to try one of this day. This is one of them. :) Next round I'll make it plain. May be as a burger bun?

3 comments:

  1. Hi, The Caked Crusader!

    Thank you for your compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got this book too and was quite doubtful when I saw this recipe too... Looking at your soft buns, looks like it's worth a try to make this healthy brown rice buns! :)

    ReplyDelete