Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Vanilla Yogurt Ice Cream





If you're a yogurt lover, you may like this ice cream. This is unbelievable simple. No eggs and cooking are involved. Simply: mix, whisk, pour and freeze.

Recipe courtesy from Gina of Kitchen Capers. Since I didn't have any fresh peppermint on hand, I changed it into a vanilla flavour one. Here's my version:

Ingredients:

2 cups plan yogurt (I used "Pauls" set yogurt 500g -$4.60/tub)
1 cup whipping cream (I also used non-diary)
120g caster sugar (I used 10g less: don't think is significant)
1/2 tsp salt (I used extra fine sea salt)
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla oil (or essence) [Add slightly more if you want stronger taste. ]

Method:
1. Whisk yogurt, cream, sugar, vanilla oil/essence and salt in a mixer until well blended.

2. Pour into container and freeze till set. (Between 4 t0 6 hours) **

3. Top with chocolate chips/rice or whatever cross your mind. Enjoy!

Note:
1. After 2 days, I noticed that the ice cream became very hard to scoop. So I checked with Gina of Kitchen Capers. Her advice was to whisk it a few times and put it back to freeze. (When you take in and out of the freezer, condensation will happen and water vapour turns into ice.)

2. Was wondering whether one should whisk a few times when the ice cream is semi-set. (Just like those ice cream with eggs & cooking involved). Is it the same or??? Anyone out there have better ideas?

Anyway, this is a very refreshing dessert with the warm weather out there. Taste wise, it has a bit of the sourish taste from yogurt. Think next time will stick to the 120g castor sugar called for.

My two boys were the one who enjoyed the ice cream most. They love yogurt. They were very happy that mummy can make ice cream from now on ! :)

1 comment:

  1. wonderful !
    Come visit my blog too, maybe you can be inspired by what I cook !
    Catalina :)

    ReplyDelete