Friday, May 15, 2009

Super Soft Milk Toast



(This was using my bigger Pullman's tin with flour capacity of 450g.)

Yesterday evening, my husband came home telling me “哇!妳的面包好软!” (Your bread is very soft!). I was elated to hear that, since it was I who always asked him for feedback! And hey, this bread was made on Tuesday afternoon! It is able to "survive" under our current terrible hot weather and yet retain its softness... . I'm very pleased. :)

Unlike other bloggers who bake different kinds of healthy loaves with pumpkin or sweet potatoes, I can only bake simple plain/milk loaf for my family... simply because my family (especially my husband) doesn't fancy/like these kind of loaves! :( Another type of bread they will never want me to bake are those hard bread (European bread). See, a bunch of 吃软不吃硬的! So I've been baking my usual milk loaf from here. Well, this is a very good loaf using very simple ingredients available in most home bakers' home. However, like all home bakers I'm constantly looking for bread loaf that stay very soft on the second and better still third day without additional of bread improver.

I chanced upon a recipe from a food blog which I frequent. It uses simple ingredients too, but with additional egg whites. Since I have leftover egg whites from my ice-cream making, I decided to give it a try. It's also a good way to use up the whites too. :)

Ingredients:
Bread flour 300g
Instant Yeast 3g
Castor sugar 45g
Salt 3g
Milk powder 4.5g
Fresh milk 138g
Egg whites 65g
Salted butter 30g

Method:
1. Use your usual kneading for bread. Make sure you knead your dough till smooth and elastic (window pane stage).
2. Cover and proof for 1 hour.
3. Divide into 3 portions. Round up the doughs and rest for about 10 minutes.
4. Roll into Swiss roll style once. Rest the doughs for a further 10 minutes.
5. Flatten the 3 rolls and roll into Swiss roll style one more time. (兩次桿捲)
6. Put the rolled doughs into you Pullman's tin and let it rise till 90%. (within 2 hours)
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 30 minutes.
8. Unmold immediately. Let it cool off completely before slicing.

Note:
* This dough was rather wet & sticky. I wonder whether it was due to the salted butter used.
* During my first attempt, I used my stand mixer for the first 15 minutes. Thereafter, I hand kneaded and "throw & bang" for another 20 minutes or so before reaching window pane stage. Please remember to "lightly flour" your hand & working table. Do not be tempted to add more flour.

* For my second attempt, I used my bigger Pullman's tin with 450g of bread flour. This time round I used unsalted butter. I found it was easier to work with unsalted butter. I used my bread machine to knead for 30 minutes. I feel my bread dough usually don't reach window pane stage even after 30 minutes of kneading. So, I'll take out the dough and hand knead it. I'll also adopt the "throw & bang" method (甩打面团). I find this method works very effective than hand knead alone! Guess what I "throw & bang" and count to hundreds!

I always keep my home baked loaf in an airtight container at room temperature. Likewise, my husband will pack his bread in an airtight container and bring to his office. So please keep your bread properly.

I hope you will try out this wonderful recipe and enjoy this loaf as much as I do. :)


Recipe source: MARS 烘焙園地

6 comments:

  1. When I have any leftover egg whites, I will remember to this recipe out. My kids prefer soft bread too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive looking loaf! I bow to your mastery over yeast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi HHB!
    This is an excellent loaf! I'm very sure you'll love it! My younger boy is able to eat 2 slices of it plus 3/4 cup of fresh milk at one go! :) Guess most kids 吃软不吃硬!;)

    Hi the caked crusader!
    Thanks for your encouraging words. :) Mastery? No lah,I'm still learning bread making.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is interesting, the bread looks so light and fluffy! I always make crusty bread because my hubs like them. I should try this too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey MH! I've made a loaf of sandwich bread using this recipe ... But, I've modified quite a bit. Will blog about it soon if have time ... Getting ready to go home! Excited! Thanks for sharing this recipe though. Sure will use it again and again but with modifications each time to create variation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i MUST try this recipe! it looks really soft and milky!
    thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete