Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dried Shrimp Sambal


I made a batch of sambal last week. Nothing special, just that I pound everything "manually" instead of using a chopper this time. I've heard that pounding will release the full flavours of ingredients. All along I've been thinking that pounding take times. But I realise that if the dried chillies and shrimps are soaked till soft (which I didn't previously, silly!), it is very easy to pound! I'd adjusted the spiciness as I was afraid my kids may not take it! However, my husband complained that it was not spicy enough for him.... :(

While frying, my two kids came running to the kitchen, covering their nose, "Mummy, what's that smell? It's very stinky!!" My house smelt belachan after frying (including me)!!! Anyone has any good ideas to get rid of that smell?

Recipe as follows:

Sambal A (Pound finely)
10 small onions
3 pip garlic
15 dried chillies, soak till soft
5 chilli padi
1 tbsp toasted belachan
100g dried shrimps, soaked
6 tbsp oil

Sambal B
1 tbsp asam paste, mixed with 3 tbsp water, squeeze out thick assam juice
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt to taste

Method:
1. Heat up oil, saute Sambal A until fragrant.
2. Add Sambal B and stir-fry until dry.
3. Taste and dish up. Leave to cool before storing in the fridge.

This Sambal is good for stir-fry (with sweet potato leaves and kangkong), topping for fried rice and sandwich.

Recipe source: Delightful Snacks & Dim sum by Agnes Chang
(开开心心做点心 - 蓝赛珍)

No comments:

Post a Comment