Thursday, August 13, 2009

Maple Syrup Loaf (water-roux)


When I saw Grace of Kitchen Corner made a water-roux bun, I realised that I hadn't used water-roux for quite sometimes. I decided to bake a loaf since the weather was "good".

However, I find that "bread loaf" using water-roux is intriguing. The initial fermentation is very similar to the straight dough method. It's the final proofing that is a big headache.

Initially, I thought with such 'good" weather, the final proofing would be rather smooth sailing. Gosh! It took me 1hr 45 minutes just to have the final proofing, and that was on top of having place a hot boiling water jug to speed the final process. I wonder how long would it take to rise if I didn't speed up. Sigh!

Nonetheless, the loaf was very soft. :) However, the bread didn't survive till the third day as they were finished the very next day! :)

My water-roux: I used 25g bread flour + 125g water (yield 120g for me). I think you may add a little 5g each to the flour and water to achieve slightly more water-roux. I was rather "heng" or lucky to achieve the exact quantity for this loaf! :D You may refer SeaDragon of Corner Cafe for more details on water-roux.

This is how my water-roux looks like when it was cooked:

Recipe:

Ingredients (A)
Bread flour 420g
Caster Sugar 70g
Salt 5g
Instant Yeast 7g

Ingredients (B)
Egg 45g
Milk 98g
Maple syrup 45g
Water-roux 120g

Ingredient (C)
Unsalted butter 45g

Method:
1. Kneading: Knead the dough till it reach window-pane stage.
2. Fermentation: about 40 minutes
3. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll to form a round ball. Rest for 10 minutes.
4. Flatten and roll each into a longish shape, Swiss-roll style. Place into a loaf tin.
5. Final proofing: let the dough rise till 80% of the tin (temperature: 38 deg C, humidity 85%)
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 35 minutes.


Recipe adapted from: 65 度C汤种面包 by 陈郁芬

3 comments:

  1. I've seen water-roux method on a few blogs and am curious abt it. Thanks for posting the link for more details. The softness of your bread makes it hard for me to not try this method someday :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good. I am glad to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice blog.Please accept an award from my space.
    http://nimmuguru.blogspot.com/2011/04/first-award.html

    ReplyDelete